Friday, July 29, 2016

The first American Olympic athlete to wear a hijab challenges stereotypes and slaps Trump




As Donald Trump rejected Khizr Khan's speech at the DNC convention,  saying that her wife Ghazala Khizr was not allowed to talk,  another Muslim woman responds her. The female Muslim American athlete Ibtihaj Muhammad is going to break the stereotypes as the first hijab-wearing American Olympic athlete to represent America. In her recent statements, Muhammad expressed concerns about her safety as an African-American hijab-wearing Muslim and considered Donald Trumps words dangerous.  
“I think his words are very dangerous ... when these types of comments are made, no one thinks about how they really affect people. I’m African-American. I don’t have another home to go to. My family was born here. I was born here. I’ve grown up in Jersey. All my family’s from Jersey. It’s like, well, where do we go?,” she told CNN commenting on Trump's remarks about banning Muslims.
Muhammad is quite vocal about rising anti-Muslim rhetoric in the US politics.  Talking to Daily Beast she said, “I feel unsafe] all the time. I had someone follow me home from practice and try to report me to police.” 
According to a Washington Post report commenting on the anti-Islamic rhetoric of the Republican presidential candidate Trump, she says,  “I have to challenge this idea that in some way we don’t belong because of our race or our religion.” 
The 30-year-old fencer has been on fire since she secured her spot in the 2016 Olympics by earning two bronze medals for America at the world cup held in Athens. She was chosen as one of the Time's magazine's 100 most influential people of 2016 and recently met President Obama at the White house. 
“I’m hopeful that, in my efforts to represent our country well as an athlete ― that they change the rhetoric around how people think and perceive the Muslim community,” she told CNN.
Interestingly Muhammad is also a fashion designer.  In 2014, she founded her own online clothing company Louella in Los Angles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment